Workplace Safety Tips
Safety in the workplace should be everyone's top priority. Work related injuries are less likely to occur if all employees know the safety guidelines and understand how to incorporate them in to the workplace daily. There are thousands of workplace safety tips that can be used to make every office or work site an injury free zone. Many of the workplace safety tips cover personal safety,electrical safety,eye safety, or even equipment safety just to name a few of the topics. You can make sure all employees know these safety facts by posting them on a wall that is most seen throughout the day such as a break room. Another way to teach safety facts to people is at the end of weekly safety meetings hand out papers with them written down and make sure you go over them encase there are any questions that need to be answered.
General Workplace Safety Tips
- Make sure all walkways are free of clutter or tripping hazards such as wires and extension cords.
- All desk should be kept clean and also free of clutter this will help prevent accidental spills which could damage equipment.
- Have working fire extinguisher and full first aid kits at all times. Make sure all employees know where they are located and are trained in proper use.
- Stairwells and fire exits should be clearly marked and again all employees should know where they are located.
- Empty all wastebaskets each night this will help in preventing fires.
- Let employees know there is a zero tolerance policy towards violence. This includes physical aw well as mental bullying.
- Make sure all the cords on any equipment is in good condition no frays,tears or holes. That could potentially rip and start a fire. Replace old wires or equipment as soon as the problem is found.
- Do not use extension cords whenever possible. Don't over load any electrical sockets with to many plugs.
Personal Workplace Safety Tips
- Always wear the proper safety gear when working in an environment.
- If you are cutting wood or metal be sure to wear protective eye gear such as goggles at all times. One tiny piece could go flying and cause permant vision loss.
- While using loud machinery be sure to wear ear plugs. They will help prevent any hearing loss.
- Wear full body suits and protective masks while working with hazardous materials.
- If any chemicals should accidentally spill on your body immediately make your way to the shower station that should be set up near you.
- Learn how to properly work any equipment before you even turn it on. If you are not sure how it works find someone who does and ask them to help you.
- Lift with your knees. Don't bend at your back it could cause you to pull a muscle.
- Never touch a live electrical wire. If you see a fallen wire alert management so they can have it fixed correctly.
- Only take your cigarette break in designated areas. They are there to help prevent fires that may be caused by smoking near flammable gases or accidentally because it was not put out correctly.
- wear shoes that fit correctly and prevent skidding.
- Before using a ladder check all of the steps to make sure they are secure. Also make sure to make the ladder on a flat surface to prevent it from moving.
These are just a few workplace safety tips. There are many different ways to protect yourself and other while at work. It all comes down to being careful and watching what you are doing. A person that is taking their time and working correctly will always get the job done before the guy who is rushing and cutting corners not only do they forget steps and have to go back and repeat them people who rush are also a greater risk for injury. So remember the boss won't be made if it takes you a little longer to finish a task as long as it was done correctly and without injury.