Lifting Safety In The Office
Lifting safety should be a topic of all work safety meetings. It is important to know the proper way to lift and carry objects. Back injuries are a leading cause of missed work days. Not only can a back injury be extremely painful it could cause permanent damage to the spine such as paralysis. the rules to lifting safety are easy to remember and will save you a lot of pain.
- Bend with your knees not with your back. This will help to prevent pulling a back muscle.
- If you need to lift something higher than your head use a ladder to help you reach the spot.
- Always make sure your feet are body are facing the same direction the entire time you are lifting or carrying heavy objects.
- Check the weight and make sure it is not to heavy for you to carry. If it is ask someone to help you lift it.
- Make sure you have a firm grip on the object before lifting it up.
- Walk slowly and calm moving with fast jerking motions could cause a muscle sprain.
- Get as close to the object as possible to avoid acrching your back which can cause muscle strain.
- Remember to pace yourself when carrying a heavy box. Take your time and walk slowly and watch your step so you don't trip or fall.
- If it is to heavy to lift with someone else helping use lifting equipment such as a forklift to get the job done safely.
Proper lifting Safety techniques
There are hundreds of back and neck injuries each year due to improper lifting. It is easy to forgot about safe lifting but your back will thank you when you do remember. You can find slip resistant shoes and back braces at most of your local stores. They are not to expensive and will worth any price if they help to prevent a major back injury. Above all remember moving a box without using safety precautions may save you a few minutes but it may also cost you your job and lots of lost money on unneeded medical bills.