Hazards In The Workplace
There are thousands of different hazards in the workplace. Most of them can be prevented if the proper precautions are taken. The best way to get rid of hazard in the workplace is to train all of your employees in workplace safety. Hazards exist in all workplaces from offices to construction sites. Any place there are people and any type of equipment the potential for hazardous occurrences is also there.
Safety Hazards In The Workplace
What is a safety hazard in the workplace? A safety hazard in the workplace is anything that could cause physical harm to a person. Promoting safety in the workplace is the best way to prevent accidents form occurring which could lead to personal injuries. Below is a list of hazards in the workplace and how to avoid them.
- Slips,Trips and Falls. An unclean workplace can cause injury to everyone working. If there is trash or other objects laying on the floor the rate of falls can often triple. Trips and falls can result in sprained muscles or in worst cases broken bones.
- Biological Hazards in the workplace can be extremely dangerous if proper safety precautions are not followed. Biological hazards include anything that can be passed from one person to another. A few of these contagious biological hazards are the flu,hepatitis,or HIV. There are also other biological hazards such as mold and chemicals. Most of the biological hazards above can cause serious illness and a few can even cause death.
- Fire Hazards in the workplace are a leading cause of lost time. If a fire occurs in the building it is a good possibility that you will be forced to close until the Fire Marshall has inspected the property and deemed it safe for re-entry. Not only can you lose time but more seriously lives can be lost in a fire. It is one of the most deadly things known to man. Make sure all employees are properly trained in fire safety and all fire extinguishers are fully loaded and operational.
- Improper lifting can be extremely hazardous to a person. If you do not teach your employees how to lift correctly and in a safe way there is sure to be a lot of unnecessary back related injuries. Always bend at the knees when lifting an object and be sure that it is not to heavy for you to lift by yourself. Many people think that if they wear a back brace they can lift however they feel like. That is not true a brace won't prevent injuries it is just used for a little extra back support and should not be fully depended on. If a box is to big or too heavy for you a back brace is not going to be of any good use.
- Equipment hazards in the workplace is a serious topic that should be covered at all safety meetings and every time a new employee is hired. It is important that only people that have been safety certified to use heavy machinery and other equipment do so in order to prevent serious injury. Misuse of equipment can cause loss of limbs or in the worst cases death. Make sure all employees understand the hazards involved in all equipment at work whether they use it or not.
- Electrical hazards can be anything from a frayed electrical cord to bad wiring in the walls or even an exposed wire. There are many ways to prevent electrical hazards one of the best is to never over load an electrical socket or extension cord. Another way is to check all cords on anything that needs electricity to run to make sure there are no frays of holes that could spark and start a fire. If you find an exposed wire Never Touch It. Even a small jolt of electricity can cause irreversible damage to your brain and muscles. Make sure to let they proper people know so a professional can take care of the problem.
These were just a few of the most relevant hazards in the workplace and how to avoid them. It is best to take some time and check out your workplace to find safety hazards that are specific to your job. Once you have found out what the safety hazards are in your workplace you can put together a safety meeting and go over each topic with the other employees. The best way to prevent hazards in the workplace is to train everyone how to notice them and how to prevent them from occurring again. An informed staff is sure to make a safe and hazard free workplace.