In one office building there can be many different personalities some of these personalities work well together while some are bound to clash. There is no way around this fact certain people are going to rub other people the wrong way no matter what they say or do. It is up to you as a person to understand this and try to allow others to be themselves without getting to bent out os shape about things they may say or do. All Workplace conflicts should be handling like you are a mature adult in a mature work setting, which by the way you are.
Handling Workplace Conflict
There are several ways to handle workplace conflict. Conflict in the workplace not only effects your attitude and how well you work it also has an effect on those around you. Have you ever noticed after talking to someone that is generally grouchy that you walk away feeling a little moody. Believe it or not your attitude does effect others working around you. Here are a few tips on how to resolve workplace conflict.
Remember not all conflicts are a bad thing. Conflict in a meeting group meeting can be okay if it is not taken to far. Getting into heated discussions about the way something should be done or should not be done are a great way for everyone involved to voice their opinion.
- Be open to others ideas. Not everyone thinks like you do but that doesn't make it wrong. If you learn to listen to what others have to say you are bound to learn something new. Some people just don't get along. Different personalities are going to clash and there is really nothing you can do about it. Just remember that all people are different and keep the talking to a minimum. Only interact with this person when you have to and always keep it professional.
- If you have a problem with something that was said speak to that person about the comment. Do not personally attack them or their personality. It was the comment you had a problem with not the person try to remember that when you confront them.
- Never use foul or insulting language. You are at work after all so try to keep a little professionalism in the conversation.
- Listen to what the other person is saying to you. Don't just nod along waiting for your turn to voice your thoughts. Think about what they are saying and respond to them in a positive way.
- Choose you battles carefully or you may become the office bully. Is it really appropriate to argue with someone about coffee? Not matter what the conflict of interest may be make sure it is worth fighting over. If you feel you are being taken advantage of than of course voice your opinion. Just remember somethings are better left unsaid.
Above are just a few of the ways to avoid workplace conflict. It is really all about common sense. Use your head in ever conflict. Imagine you were an outsider looking in at this conflict would you think it was a silly conflict or a legit reason to be arguing? Think about the appearance you are making and how others around you might perceive it. Could it make you look like a bully or just someone who refuses to be pushed around. Almost none of the conflict you encounter at work are worth risking your job over so stay calm and work it out like the professional that you are.