Many jobs require the use of a drill press. They can be extremely dangerous if used incorrectly. You could lose a limp or even die if you cut yourself badly. There are several things you can do to make sure you are not injured. Any person that works with one should be required to take a drill press safety training course.
Drill Press Safety Clothes
- Remove any loose fitting jewelry or clothing. It could potential get caught in the drill.
- If you have long hair you should pull it back in a ponytail behind your ears so it doesn't come lose while you are working.
- While must jobs require gloves you should remove them while using the drill press. This is so the fabric does not get caught in the moving drill bit.
- You should not wear long sleeved shirts while using a drill press the arm could get tangled in the drill and cause your arm to get stuck in the blade.
- Always wear safety goggles to prevent wood pieces from damaging your eyes.
- Make sure the area is clear of all clutter. Only the piece you are working with should be on the drill.
- Never walk away and leave the drill press turned on. Also never look up from the drill while it is still moving. Your hand could slip and be cut.
- Don't touch the drill immediately after drilling. The blade will be hot and may cause burns. Wait a short time for it to cool down before removing it.
- Never put your hands underneath the piece being drilled. Always lie all pieces flat on the drill press before you start it.
- Never use a drill bit that is chipped or cracked. It coiled break while you are using it and cause injury.
- Never grab for a piece that you have lost control over with your bare hands. Turn the drill off and than remove the piece.
Drill Press Safety Tips
Every person that is working in the same area as a drill should be trained in drill press safety it is the only way to make sure all employees know how to work safe. You should have at least one meeting about drill press safety with everyone in your company. There is no reason for injuries to occur if they can be prevented.