Earthquake Safety In The Office
Every year thousands of people receive injuries as a result of earthquakes. It is important to teach earthquake safety in the office to all employees. The best way to be prepared for a disaster is to have knowledge about what needs to be done if one should occur. A good way to keep everyone calm and collected during a natural disaster would be to start up a relief team. This is a few people that have been trained not only in earthquake safety but first aid and group communication as well. They will be able to help others when needed and lead people that may be frightened. It is always a good idea to have an evacuation plan that the entire office knows.
Earthquake Safety In The Office Tips
You cannot prevent an earthquake from occurring but you can do your best to be prepared if one does happen while you are at work. There are several ways to make the office a safer place during an earthquake. A few minutes of earthquake safety in the office preparation could actually save the lives of the people working in the building with you.
- Make sure all shelves are secured to the walls and floors to prevent them from falling on to people in an earthquake.
- Have an earthquake safety kit ready for emergencies. This should include a first aid kits,flashlights,batteries,a portable radio and water.
- Make sure the building is routinely inspected to be sure it is up to current earthquake safety standards.
- Have an evacuation plan ready and practice it so everyone knows what it is. Find a safe place to meet after the earthquake is over. Take a roll call to make sure everyone is present at the time.
- During the earthquake you should get under your desk to prevent anything from falling on you of you. If there is no desk around find a door way and stand in it until the quake is over.
- Wall Mounted Shelves
- Heavy objects hang on walls such as paintings and fire extinguishers.
- Hanging light fixtures such as ceiling fans
- Potted plants hanging from the ceiling
- Filing cabinets
- Water coolers
- Computers,printers,faxes and all other office equipment
Earthquake Safety In The office Hazards
Here is a list of potentially hazardous items during an earthquake. The best way to promote earthquake safety in the office is to have a team of employees that are designated safety monitors check for all hazardous items.
All of these items should be reinforced to make sure they are properly secured and will not fall during the earthquake. All Electrical office equipment can be held to the desk safely by placing double sided velcro stripes on them and the table they are placed on. This will help to keep them from flying off the desk and causing injury.
If you work in an area that has high natural disaster potential than it is very important that all employees are properly trained inearthquake safety in the office. Teaching people how to prepare for an earthquake and how to react when one is occurring is the best why to prevent injuries and save lives. Earthquake safety training Will help keep everyone calm during an earthquake.